History of Ravenna Schools

1918 Class D State Champion Ravenna BluejaysThe first school was held in 1875 in the sod house of Erastus Smith, founder of Ravenna, with Mrs. Smith as their teacher. Classes were later held in the dug out of George Adams in 1885. The first school building was constructed in 1886. After a harsh winter a new school was needed, so in 1888 a new brick school building was completed. Miss Ella Pool was Ravenna High’s first graduate in 1893. In 1927 land was purchased for a new grade school building. It was named East Ward. In 1945 the entire high school was destroyed by a fire. Classes were held in the city auditorium for the next few years while a new junior/senior high school was being built. A new high school was built on the west side of town in 1968. East Ward was closed in 1979 with K-6 students attending the previous Junior-Senior High School on Grand Avenue. In 1996 a new elementary school was constructed next to the high school and the old elementary school was demolished.

Here Are The Facts About Ravenna Public Schools:

  • Enrollment: Elementary students-248, High School (7-12)-208, Total Students-468
  • Faculty: 42 teachers and 3 administrators
  • ACT– 5-Year Composite Avg.: 22.5 (Ravenna), 22.1 (State Avg.), 21.1 (National Avg.)
  • Exceptional Special Education Program
  • Accreditation: North Central/Advanced Ed
  • Average class size: 32
  • Student/Teacher ratio: 11 to 1
  • Graduation Rate: 97%
  • Percent of Students Attending 2/4 yr. college: 80%